Saturday 25 June 2011

Here we go...

Wow. Hello. I've never written a blog before and it feels a bit weird broadcasting my thoughts to anyone who cares to read them (although obviously that's no one at the moment - clearly I need to find some followers).

This blog is dedicated to my love of reading. I usually have five or six books on the go and tend to flit between them pretty much at random - hence "the literary butterfly". My favourite things to do are to read books that other people rave to me about, and to pass on books I love to other people. As far as I'm concerned it's at least as much fun to talk about books as to read them, and with this blog I can talk about books to absolutely anyone who wants to listen. And, even better, maybe I'll get to hear your thoughts too.

So that's my first plan with this blog. The other is to set myself a bit of a challenge. I want to start reading a book chain - jump from book to book in a logical way. For instance, if I start with Pride and Prejudice I could move on to Mansfield Park (because it's also by Jane Austen) or Bridget Jones' Diary (because it's a modern rewrite of P&P) or The Bad Mother's Handbook (because, let's face it, Mrs Bennett wasn't a great one). You get the idea. I want to see how long I can make the chain, and obviously I'll need your suggestions.

And no, it's no coincidence that I chose Pride and Prejudice as my example. I love that book. You need to know that I'm a hopeless romantic - it's a confession best got over with at the beginning. However, I won't be starting with Austen. I'll post my thoughts on book number one a little bit later.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to reading more from you. I have been blogging for over two years before and I remember how weird it felt to just start writing your thoughts and hoping someone would eventually read them.

    I am curious to see how you went from the Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes to The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time on your book chain! I read that book about a year ago and it started so much discussion that I had to have follow up posts, which had even more discussion and in the end I had to take them down :-) I hope you have better luck!

    ReplyDelete