Sunday 25 September 2011

Secret Letters at Trebizon


Two blog posts in less than 24 hours? Surely not? Well, in the interests of full disclosure, this was a very short book. And I'm meant to be revising for an exam, which actually means that I'm spending most of my time re-reading the books of my youth for comfort.
Secret Letters at Trebizon is the thirteenth book in Anne Digby's wonderful Trebizon series - stories about a girls' boarding school set on the Cornish coast and written between the 1970s and 1990s. As a child I adored school stories of any era (who am I kidding? I still do) and Trebizon was one of my favourites because it was set in the present day so I could actually imagine going to school there myself!

I never managed to collect all the Trebizon books when I was young so I was thrilled to see that Fidra books have republished two of the later ones. To be honest, these weren't Digby's best books. Some of the language is rather stilted and the plots are somewhat contrived but I don't care. Trebizon, sitting practically on the beach in Cornwall where the girls can surf after lessons, and run by enlightened staff that don't mind the girls having boyfriends from the boys' school down the road, is definitely the school I'd have wanted to attend.

In this novel Rebecca and her friends are revising for their GCSE exams, which I kind of hoped might inspire me to get on with my own revision - but sadly not. Still, it was lovely to re-read a book I loved so much as a child, especially in the beautiful edition that Fidra books have produced.

(By the way, I have finished A Spot of Bother and will be reviewing it soon. I can't decide what to read next in my book chain - any suggestions would be welcome!).

No comments:

Post a Comment